Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Two Weeks of Meals on a Budget, Day 3: Taco Wontons

I have made a pledge to try and help out with our money situation. No more un-needed trips to Goodwill (maybe) and since I am the one who does all the grocery shopping, to cut down the grocery bill. Planning out my meals ahead of time actually really helped keep my grocery list to a minimum and I only bought things that were on my list. Usually, I roam the isles picking up ingredients or snacks that sound appealing with no real plan in place. This time I was prepared. I managed to cut down the grocery bill to $170 for two weeks worth of food; keep in mind I had to buy a couple extra ingredients because my husband volunteered me to make breakfast burritos for his work's boosters. I would say minus those ingredients the bill would have been around $15 cheaper or $145. Along with the dinners that I had planned, I also bought my son snacks, lunch and breakfast items and a few extra things. Below is my Meal Plan.

WHAT AM I GOING TO MAKE
FOR SUNDAY!?!?!

Tonight is Wednesday night, Taco Wonton night, and I have to say they turned out GREAT! I really liked them and they were not nearly as messy as I thought they would be as the wonton "cups" really stood up and did not crack and chip as I thought they would. 

Taco Wontons

1 lb hamburger meat
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 cup shredded cheese, I used Jack cheese
1 packet of wonton wrappers
Cooking spray
Toppings for the tacos as desired
(I used tomato, green onion, lettuce, black olives, jalapenos, and Greek yogurt)

Preheat the oven to 375. Fry hamburger until cooked through, drain. Mix in taco seasoning and cook to specifications on packet.
Line 18 greased cupcake tins with the wonton wrappers; I did 12 and then 6 by themselves afterward.
Bake the unfilled wonton wrappers in the oven for 5 minutes; pull out and fill with a tablespoon or so of taco meat. You don't want to put too much filling in straight away, remember all of your toppings. After the wonton wrappers are filled with taco meat, top with a sprinkling of cheese. Return to the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the corners of the wonton wrappers are crispy.
Take as many as you want onto your plate and top as desired!


Our neighbors grew a TON of tomatoes and offered us some, of which I thankfully obliged. I think homegrown tomatoes have so much more flavor than ones bought in the grocery store and I couldn't wait to use them. I made a homemade salsa and topped my wonton tacos with it as well.
6 tomatoes, 1 onion, 1/2 cup cilantro, 2 cloves
of garlic, 1/8 cup of lime juice, 2 jalapenos, and
LOTS of Salt into the food processor.
So far, so good on my quest of cutting the grocery bill and making delicious dinners. Hope you enjoy!

XoXo

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment