Monday, July 29, 2013

Baked Buffalo Chicken Wontons with Faux Bleu Cheese

This past weekend, we visited my brother and sister-in-law in Florida. We had such a great time; the adult company, taking Dexter to the beach for the first time, just being at the beach, and getting away.

Since we did take a little vacay, I'm not overly upset about running astray from my meal plan and 30 day squat challenge. As for the meal plan, I pretty much left off from where I was at and started again and for my squat challenge, I too picked up where I left off and plan on skipping the next two rest days since that is as many days as I am behind.

Tonight I was supposed to make chicken salad but my husband begged me to make something else; too much of the same I am guessing even though I could likely eat chicken salad every night. Anyway, I still wanted to do something with chicken and looked through Pinterest for some ideas. I found several recipes for buffalo chicken wontons with varying ingredients; my own spin on each is below.

NOTE: I love love love all cheeses. My absolute, number one favorite food of all time is cheese so bleu cheese dressing is one of my favorite dressings. My dear, dear husband however detests bleu cheese. Which is totally fine because in my quest to make a dip to go along with my wontons, I discovered a dip that I will likely make again.

Buffalo Chicken Wontons 

1 Chicken breast
Cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
Hot sauce (I used about 1 cup of a variant of Frank's Red Hot)
Butter or margarine (I used 1/4 cup)
1 Green onion, sliced 
4 Tbsp softened cream cheese

Faux Bleu Cheese

1/4 cup milk or buttermilk, more if you would like the dressing thinner
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup Feta cheese
2 Tbsp Ranch dressing dry packet
1/8 Tsp fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350. Put chicken breast in an 8x8 inch pan and add a little water to the bottom. Shake on as much cayenne as you like (be careful, it's hot!) and season with salt and pepper. Bake until cooked through, about 45 minutes. In the meantime, make the dressing. Stir together the milk, mayo, Ranch powder, and black pepper. When combined add in the Feta cheese; stir, cover and chill in the fridge.
Once the chicken is cooked through, DO NOT turn off your oven, turn it up to 375. Shred the chicken with two forks and place in a large mixing bowl along with the cream cheese and sliced green onion.
In a separate small bowl, microwave the butter to melt it, about 30 seconds; stir in the hot sauce and add the sauce to the chicken mixture, stir to combine.
Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Take one wonton and lightly moisten each edge with water. Place a small amount of the chicken mixture in the middle of the wonton.
Pretty sure I even overfilled this one.
**NOTE** You WILL overfill a couple when you begin, its just like a Newton's Law or something. Don't get discouraged!! You literally need about a TEAspoon of filling each, if that. 

Gently fold over and press together edges with a fork. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Serves 4 as an appetizer and 2-3 as a dinner.





XOXO
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment